Pages

Monday, April 24, 2023

Sour Cherry Crop - 2023

 This post will track the continued maturation of my 4 North Star Dwarf Sour Cherry trees over their 4th season (read about Season 1, Season 2, and Season 3).  I've never felt like I was very good with plants so it has been a real pleasure to watch these trees grow from twigs to be 8-10 feet tall on my watch.

I got about about 2 lbs of fruit last year - enough to get a good sense for the quality of the fruit.  They are very dark and seem to me to have quite a bit more rich cherry flavor than the more famous Montmorency Sour Cherry.  Here in the fourth year I stand to get a lot more than that (maybe enough to make a beer out of).  I didn't do any trimming this winter - I'll have to keep my eye out with any problematic growth

They should continue to grow stronger this year if I treat them right - looking forward to watching this happen.

6/2/23
5/20/23
4/17/23


Growing Notes:

  • 4/16/23:  Cleared away the weeds from the trunks of the trees.  Have a lot of flowers this year.  Even without fruit the trees are worth having for how they make for a very beautify yard picture:

  • 6/7/23 - I've been picking for the last few days and there is a lot more to go
  • 6/30/23 - The fruit is just about done.  Ended up collecting 8 1 gal freezer bags worth which weigh 39 lbs



No comments:

Post a Comment