Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Dark Saison

I will be brewing a Saison today using Bootleg Biology's Mad Fermentationist Saison Blend.  This is a mix of Saison Yeast, Brettanomyces, and Lactobacillus.  This was farmed from The Mad Fermentationist's house saison culture.

I decided to make this a "Dark" Saison (my third Saison - read about the first and second) partially inspired by The Mad Fermentationist's series of beers and partially based on the fact that I had some homemade "Belgian Candi Syrup" on hand.

The Candi Syrup was made with ~2 lb of Raw Sugar, Citric acid (to invert the sugar) and Di-Ammonium Phosphate which promotes Maillard Reactions.  I heated this up to 290 F.  It produced a very dark syrup (too dark for my intended purpose of using it to back sweeten Flanders Red) and has a nice caramel, toasted marshmallow, dark fruit flavor.  This will be responsible for transforming a light saison into a dark saison (will be the only dark component) and will also provide some easily fermentable sugars to dry out the beer.  I think the flavors will compliment the yeast character as well.

For the grainbill I am using Pilsner malt along with quite a bit of flaked malt (oats, wheat, and rye).  Flaked malts will be 50% of the grainbill.  I hope these will provide some residual starch that the Brett in the blend can munch on for an extended secondary (I plan for 3 months).  I will mash in the low 150s to help it dry out.  I am shooting for a pretty high OG for this beer (1.061) which, if the beer attenuates as it should, would give me a pretty potent beer (>7% ABV).

The Mad Fermentationist's beers are typically aged on dried fruit.  I will be aging mine on Raisins which should play well with the Candi syrup - these will be added in secondary.

I'm going to ferment as high as I can (hopefully low to mid 80s) to promote a fruity ester profile.  I'll be using a reptile heating pad in my fermentation chamber to promote this.  I plan to reuse this yeast cake multiple times - it will be interesting to see how it behaves at various temperatures and with different beers.


Recipe Details:
  • Grain/Adjunct:
    • 6 lb Pilsner malt
    • 2 lb Flaked Wheat
    • 2 lb Flaked Rye
    • 2 lb Flaked Oats
    • 3 oz Acid Malt
    • 1.75 lb Dark Candi Syrup (home made)
  • Hops:
    • 1 oz Hallertau (Pellet, 4.1% AA) at 60 min
  • Yeast:
    • Bootleg Biology Mad Fermentationist Saison Blend
  • Water:
    • 10 gal spring water
    • 1 tsp CaCl
    • 1 tsp Gypsum
    • 1 tsp Irish Moss at 20 min
  • Extras:
    • 23 oz Raisin
    • 1 oz of 350 F Toasted Oak soaked in Cabernet

Process Details:
  • Batch Size:
    • 6 gal
  • Mash:
    • 151 F for 60 min
  • Boil:
    • 60 min
  • Fermentation Temperature:
    • 80 F
  • Primary Duration:
    • 4 weeks
  • Secondary Duration:
    • 3 Month

Results:
  • OG:
    • 1.061 (Target 1.061)
  • Efficiency:
    • 72% (Target 72%)
  • FG:
    • TBD (Target 1.004)
  • Apparent Attenuation:
    • TBD (Target 93%)
  • ABV:
    • TBD (Target 7.48%)

Brewing Notes:
  • 3/18/18 - Brewday - 1:30 to 5:30- Including setup and cleanup
    • Heated 10 gal of strike water to 180 F
    • Added 3 gal to the mash tun.  Settled out at 167 F
    • Milled my grain.  Added in the flaked grains and 1 tsp of CaCl as well as 1 tsp Gypsum
    • Added the grain to the mash tun - stirred well.  The mash was a bit thick so I added 1 additional gal of water.  The temperature settled to 151 F
    • Mashed for 60 min
    • Heated 6 gal of strike water up to 200 F
    • Fly sparged.  Collected 8 gal of 11 brix wort
    • Started heating during the sparge.  Had it to a boil 10 min after completing the sparge
    • Boiled for 60 min
    • Added hops after the hot break cleared
    • Added Irish Moss with 20 min left int he boil
    • Poured in my Candi Syrup with 15 min left.  Had to fill the jar with hot wort a few times to clean it all out
    • Added the wort chiller with 5 min left to let it sanitize
    • Chilled the beer to 90 F
    • Transferred to a bucket fermenter.  Let the wort fall a couple feet to aerate.
    • Poured in the yeast/bacteria culture during the transfer
    • Collected 6 gal of beer.  Measured the gravity as 1.061 - right on target.
    • Moved the fermenter to the chest freezer with a reptile heater that will let the beer get up to 90 F
  • 3/20/18 - Took a while but the airlock is finally showing some activity.  The beer is fermenting in the high 70s/low 80s.
  • 3/25/18 - Moved the beer out of the warmed fermentation chamber.  It will age at ambient basement temps (high 50's currently).
  • 5/5/18 - Transfered to secondary as follows:
    • Sauteed 23 oz of raisins until they had caramelized and then deglazed the pan using port wine.  Put these in the glass carboy I'll be using to secondary the beer
    • Added 1 oz of oak that I'd toasted at 350 F and soaked in Cabernet for 6 months
    • Transferred the beer on top of these
    • Measured the gravity of the beer as 1.002.  It has little yeast character and a pretty strong alcohol component.  No brett or acidity to the beer so far.

Lessons Learned:
  1. I enjoy fly sparging with my current setup.  It feels like a much more controlled way to collect wort than the batch sparging method (collect until the desired pre-boil volume is hit).  I typically run out of water before the fly sparge completes which is the one slight annoyance.  I think I might be better off having a lot more sparge water than I need (10-15 gal) and then saving the water for the next brew day

No comments:

Post a Comment