Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

English Barleywine X

This is my 10th attempt at brewing the English Barleywine style beer.  I have brewed one of these every memorial day since 2014.  It is a lovely style of beer focused on Malt and Yeast character and sometimes hops.  They are strong beers and are typically a bit sweet which are good features for long aging.  My intention is to drink half this batch (once it has completed a 4-5 month bulk aging period) in the winter and then to drink the other half over the next 25 years or so (1 beer a year - a gift for future Andrew).

I typically brew a different recipe each year (or at least make some modifications when I choose to re-do a recipe).  Read about my previous brews here:  2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.  This year, I was thinking of trying to brew a clone of Goose Island's King Henry (a beer I haven't had).  The don't publish a recipe but gave some hints which fed into a recipe from a Seattle Home brew club (see here).  This was really more of a jumping off point but I used their malt bill pretty closely.

I'm shooting for a beer at about 10% this year which is strong but not providing a huge challenge for the yeast - a good strength for a Barleywine.  I've chosen to go for about 100 IBU of hops here which I'm hoping will keep a good bitterness for several years at least.  Finally, I'm using a yeast I hadn't tried yet - WLP 005 British Ale - which will give me another variable to evaluate for future recipe formation.

I've typically aged these beers with a bit of oak.  I think I'll leave this one oak-free in the aging.

Vigorous Fermentation Underway

It has been a fun and rewarding exercise brewing these beers.  Very much look forward to drinking this one.

Recipe Details:

  •   Grain:
    • 19 lbs Golden Promise
    • 2.5 lbs Munich
    • 2 lbs Caramel Wheat
    • 4 oz Double Roasted Crystal
    • 4 oz Acid Malt
  • Hops:
    • 4 oz Target (Pellet, 9.6% AA) at 60 min
    • 2 oz Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 3.0% AA) at 20 min
  • Yeast:
    • WLP005 British Ale
  • Water:
    • 15 gal spring water
    • 2 tspCaCl
    • 2 tsp Gypsum
    • 1 tsp Irish Moss at 15 min

Process Details:
  •     Batch Size:
    • 6 gal (Target 6 gal)
  • Mash:
    • 150 F for 60 min
  • Boil:
    • 120 min
  • Fermentation Temperature:
    • 70 F (Ambient Basement Temp)
  • Primary Duration:
    • 4 weeks
  • Secondary duration:
    • 4 months

Results:
  • OG:
    • 1.100 (Target 1.100)
  • Efficiency:
    • 69% (Target 69%)
  • FG:
    • 1.032 (Target 1.025)
  • Apparent Attenuation:
    • TBD (Target 73%)
  • ABV:
    • TBD (Target 10%)

Brewing Notes:
  • 5/28/23 - Built a yeast starter (100 g of DME and 1 L of water).  Set this up to propagate over night
  • 5/29/23 - Brew Day - 9:45 AM to 3:15 PM including setup and cleanup
    • Heated 10 gal of spring water up to 180 F
    • Milled my grain.  Added 1 tsp of CaCl and Gypsum to the mash (also added 1 tsp of each to the brew kettle at this time so I wouldn't forget)
Caramel Wheat - a new one for me
    • Moved 8 gal of strike water to the mash tun and cycled through the RIMS until the temperature settled to 160 F.  Ended up overheating my strike water so I added some cool spring water to get the temperature down
    • Stopped the RIMS cycle and added grain to the mash tun.  Stirred well to eliminate doughballs.  Let this settle for 10 min - ended up at 152
    • Cycled the RIMS at 150 F for 60 min
    • Heated 7 gal of sparge water to 180 F
    • Fly sparged until 10 gal had been collected.  Started heating the wort after collecting 3 gal.  Had it at a boil shortly after the end of the sparge
    • Added bittering hops with 60 min left
    • Added Flavoring hops with 20 min left
    • Added Irish Moss at 15 min
    • With 5 min left I added the wort chiller to sanitize
    • Chilled the wort down to 70 F
    • Transferred to my fermenter - let the wort fall a couple feet to aerate.  Pitched the yeast during this transfer.
    • Collected about 6 gal.  Measured the gravity as 1.100 which is right on target.
    • Set this up to ferment at ambient basement temperatures (mid 60s)
  • 5/30/23 - Fermentation has started very strongly - krausen pushed out the airlock (thought that might happen so I put the fermenter on a towel to minimize cleanup)
  • 8/6/23 - Transferred to secondary fermenter for aging.  The beer is at 1.032 at this point.  I'm going to let it age for 4 months or so.
  • 4/21/24 - Transferred to a bucket fermenter for a cold crash.  The beer is still 1.032.  I'll fine with gelatin tomorrow and plan to bottle in a week.  It has a nice balance between complex malty flavors and a firm bitterness - also quite boozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment