Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Raspberry Mead

This will be my fourth attempt at making a mead.  I've made a Spiced Mead, a Bochet (Burnt Honey Mead), and a Braggot (Mead with some Grain derived sugar) so far.  This time I will be attempting a Mead with Fruit which is also known as a Melomel.  I will be using frozen raspberries grown in my garden last year for this.

I've decided to try 3 lbs of rasberries for this one.  I'm going to make a syrup out of it so I don't have deal with fruit solids.  I think this should be a good combo.

I made something close to a 2 gal batch of mead which seems like a good size as honey in larger amounts would get pricy and it is easy enough to make that the volume produced to hrs of work ratio is still pretty good.

It has been over 3 years since I made a mead which is hard to believe.  I look forward to going through this process again

Recipe Details:

  • 7 lbs of Honey
  • 3 lbs of Raspberry
  • 8 oz of sugar
  • 1.5 gal spring water
  •  0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • Red Star Premier Cuvee Yeast

Results:
  • OG:
    • 1.139
  • FG:
    • TBD
  • Apparent Attenuation:
    • TBD
  • ABV:
    • TBD

Process/Notes:
  • 2/26/23 - Brewday:
    • Heated 3 lbs of frozen raspberries and 8 oz of sugar in a pot until the juice had been released and the fruit had degraded down to paste
    • Separated the juice and fruit solids, using a metal sieve, into the fermenter
    • Added the honey to the fermenter.  Heated some of the water to boiling and added to the honey containers to get all of it out
    • Put in the yeast nutrient
    • Added the remaining water.  Stirred well to mix everything
    • Rehydrated the dry yeast and added it to the fermenter
    • Set the fermenter up in a dark corner of the basement to ferment out

No comments:

Post a Comment