Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Dark English Mild - Tasting

Six weeks from brew day and I am now getting a chance to try my first all-grain batch.  An English Mild really isn't a flashy, sexy, knock your socks off kind of beer.  I think it's more of a modest, reserved, yeomanlike beer that is flavorful, easy drinking, and hopefully refreshing.  So, with that in mind, I'm not expecting any sort of transcendental experience with this first batch.  If it turns out to be a pleasant and drinkable beer that I have no qualms about drinking 45 bottles of then it will have met my expectations perfectly.

I have really enjoyed my foray into all grain brewing so far.  I am excited to have this first bit of real insight into how my all-grain process is working.  If this one is successful then that bodes well for the two batches currently fermenting as well as my future batches.


Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:
    • Light malt aroma with roasted malt being the dominant smell.  Maybe get a bit of fruity ester and alcohol as it warms up.
  • Appearance:
    • As you can see in the picture, it is a dark brown color and practically opaque.  Looks pretty clear based on the small bit of light that gets through.  Very thin head after a normal pour which quickly fades to just a ring of foam around the sides of the glass.
  • Flavor:
    • As expected, it is very malty - very little hop bitterness.  The start is pretty light and sweet.  In the middle I get a bit of alcohol which is light and refreshing after repeated sips - maybe a little yeast ester character here as well (very subtle).  The finish is very dry with a roast flavor.
  • Mouth-feel:
    • Medium bodied even though it has very low carbonation.  There is a bit of astringency to the dry finish.  The beer coats the mouth and the flavor lingers for several minutes.  
  • Overall:
    • I think this is a pretty nice session beer.  It has a lot of flavor and body for a low alcohol beer.  After each sip the very dry finish urges me to have another one.  Drinking a few of these in one sitting would be pretty easy and I wouldn't feel much worse for wear.

I am very relieved to find no off-flavors in this batch.  I think this was a good recipe and that the final product is probably very close to what was intended - it certainly meets my expectations for what this beer should have been.  I'm encouraged that my current process is capable of creating beer of acceptable quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment