Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

English Bitter

After taking a trip to the UK a few years back I became a big fan of the London Pub scene and their delicious cask conditioned ales.  My brother and I would have 5 or 6 beers in a session and somehow never got a hang over.  I'd really like to go back but the dollar to pound conversion rate is quite unfavorable at this point.  So, as the next best thing I will brew my own version.  If I like how this turns out I plan on trying to cask condition some beers.

I chose this recipe from homebrewtalk.com (Common Room ESB).  I liked that it had a very simple and traditional grain bill and the classic UK hops (East Kent Golding and Fuggle).  I followed the recipe almost exactly and had a relatively smooth brew day.  I really enjoy the smell and flavor of the Maris Otter.  The recipe calls for first wort hopping which replaces the 60 min bittering hop addition.  It is reputed to create a smoother bitterness than normal hop scheduling and somehow also preserve more flavor and aroma.  I'd like to test this theory myself some time down the road.


 I think this is going to turn out to be a pretty good batch.

Recipe Details:
  • Grain:
    • 10 lbs Maris Otter
    • 12 oz Crystal 60 L
    • 4 oz Crystal 120 L
    • 3 oz Acid Malt
  • Hops:
    • 1.5 oz East Kent Golding Hops in First Wort
    • 0.25 oz East Kent Golding Hops at 20 min
    • 0.25 oz Fuggle Hops at 20 min
    • 0.25 oz East Kent Golding Hops at 0 min
    • 0.25 oz Fuggle Hops at 0 min
  • Yeast:
    • S-04
  • Water:
    • 10 gal RO water
    • 2 tsp 5.2 pH Buffer
    • 1 tsp Calcium Chloride
    • 1 tsp Gypsum
    • 1 tsp Irish Moss at 20 min

Process Details:
  • Batch Size:
    • 5.5 gal
  • Mash:
    • 154 F for 60 min (Target 154 F)
  • Boil:
    • 60 min
  • Fermentation Temp:
    • 63 F

Results:
  • OG:
    • 1.055 (Target 1.054)
  • Efficiency:
    • 74% (Target 72%)
  • FG:
    • 1.015 (Target 1.014)
  • ABV:
    • 5.25% (Target 5.21%)

Brewing Notes:
  • 4/27/14 Brew day - 6 AM to 11 AM including setup and cleanup
    • Added calcium chloride and gypsum to 5 gal of bottled water
    • Brought 4.5 gal of RO water up to 192 F in my small pot - took 17 min
    • Added 13.75 qt to the mash tun for a 1.25 water to grain ratio
    • Let sit for 10 min to settle down to strike temp of 166 F - was 177 F after 10 min - stirred for a bit and got it down to 166 F
    • Added the 11 lbs of grain - stirred well to eliminate dough balls
    • After 5 min the mash was at ~154 F which was the target - the mash measured anywhere from 152 F to 158 F in spots - I let it go as I figured it would even out over time.  I measured pH as less than 4.6.  Added 2 tsp (unplanned) of 5.2 pH buffer and let sit for 5 more minutes.  pH was around 4.6 when I measured again.  This isn't what I wanted but I wasn't sure I could trust my pH measurement strips so I let it go rather than taking further action.
    • After 60 min the mash was down to 151 F.  I did an iodine starch conversion test and the iodine turned a reddish brown which told me that the starch had been converted.
    • Added 8 qts of mash out water at 190 F, stirred the mash, and then drained the first runnings
    • Added the first wort hops to the kettle while draining
    • Double batch sparged with 2 gal each of 198 F water.  I stirred the mash, let it settle for 5 min, and then drained
    • Brought the ~8.5 gal of wort to a boil - took about 15 min
    • At 30 min I rehydrated the yeast
    • At 20 min I added hops and irish moss
    • At 15 min I put in wort chiller to sanitize
    • Added flame out hops at the end of the boil - let it sit for 10 min
    • Chilled to ground water temps (~80 F) - took about 20 min.  Got a very nice cold break this time
    • Transferred to fermentor - avoided hops and much of the break material.  Mixed the yeast in half way through.  I only ended up with 4.5 gal
    • Added 1 gal of RO water to get up to 5.5 gal
    • Shook to aerate
    • Put into the fermentation chamber at 63 F
    • Measured the OG of the 4.5 gal concentration as 1.062 at 83 F.  Per my hydrometer calibration this measurement is under by 6 points so my actual OG was 1.068.  With the additional 1 gal of water my diluted OG is 1.055

  • 4/28/14 - 18 hrs later the airlock is bubbling
  • 5/8/14 - Moved into 80 F house while cold crashing my previous batch
  • 5/10/14 - Moved back into the 63 F fermentation chamber
  • 5/15/14 - Increased the fermentation chamber to 70 F to allow my next batch to finish up fermentation
  • 5/21/14 - Cold crashed down to 33 F
  • 5/22/14 - Added gelatin for fining
  • 5/24/14 - Bottled with 3 oz of priming sugar.  Ended up with 35 12 oz bottles and 14 17.25 oz Russian River bottles.  Got about ~5.25 gal of beer in total - yeast cake was very nice and compact due to the gelatin.  Measured final gravity as 1.010 at 73 F which is 1.015 per my hydrometer calibration - right about on target.  The sample was a very nice golden color and had a pleasant balance between hops, malt, alcohol, and ester.  It seems like it's going to be a nice easy drinking beer.
  • 6/6/14 - First Tasting - the beer has a nice balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness.  It does not have the same alcohol burn I detected in my Oatmeal Stout even thought I basically followed the same yeast pitching process.  This is a big relief.  It will be pretty easy to finish this batch.  The one negative is that it is a bit richer/fuller bodied than I'd like.  Might be worth trying something a bit different if I brew this again to try to address this.
  • 10/1/14 - Drank the last bottle.  The hops had faded quite a bit in last 5 months but it still had a really nice malt character which was fine compensation.  Sort of sad to not have any more - I'll have to make another English Bitter fairly soon.

Lessons Learned:
  1. I have been working to get a better handle of my gravity readings and efficiency.  I believe I now have things pretty well understood on that front - last two batches I've gotten efficiencies of ~72%.  My understanding and control of mash pH still has a way to go though.  This was the first batch I used acid malt to try to keep the pH in the optimal 5.2 to 5.5 range.  Somehow it didn't end up where I thought it should be.  I wasn't planning on using pH buffer but I threw it in there anyway - not sure if it helped (didn't impact my measured pH anyway).  I ended up with pretty good efficiency so I'm not sure that I'm actually getting an accurate measurement of pH.  I think next time I will try a batch without checking pH but with acid malt to see if my efficiency is still okay - might not be worth worrying about.
  2. Still trying to get my water usage dialed in - last time I used 9 gal and ended up with 5.5.  Somehow this time I ended up a gallon short at the end.  I really need a sight glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment