Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Sour Blonde (2018) - Tasting Notes

This was my first Sour Blonde blend using beers that I brewed back in 2015 and 2016.  I chose beers to get the most complex product I could.  I ended up selecting three that seemed to have the most complimentary and interesting flavors.

I blended the batch in June 2018 and then aged it together for 4 months before bottling in October 2018.  The beer wasn't really all that sour going into the bottles but it seems to have gotten a bit more acidic after 5 months spent in the bottle.

These beers were not spontaneously fermented but they're intended to produce a lambic like beer.  This is a high bar to clear.  I think I got close enough to be satisfied with this first attempt.


Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:  
    • Musty and earth aroma along with some overripe fruit.  Maybe get some hay as well which is a bit weird
  • Appearance:
    • Light gold and pretty clear if you don't end up pouring in the dregs.  Pours with a couple finger head that disappears almost immediately
  • Flavor:
    • Fruity with a slight sourness up front.  Brett character kicks in next (earthy, musty, aged kind of flavors).  Also get a slight mineral character.  The finish has a lingering sour flavor along with a lemon-like flavor.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Light bodied.  It is very dry and refreshing.  Really easy drinking.  Leaves a slight prickling on the tongue.
  • Overall:
    • The beer has some interesting flavors and aromas which give it complexity.  It is fairly mild in terms of flavor intensity which is okay.  I brings enough to the table to be interesting (although certainly not as interesting as many of the Belgian Lambic I've tried).  The sourness level in the beer is very pleasing - firm enough to make it's presence felt but never overwhelming.  It makes for a very refreshing beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment