Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2017

American Pale Wheat Take II - Tasting Notes

This is my second attempt at an "American Pale Wheat" which is an American take on the Hefeweizen.  Like many other American beers this means that it is much more heavily hopped than is traditional with the European Original.  The style also forgoes the heavy esters that characterize the German version.

The wheat beer provides a pretty lovely background for a bold citrusy hop.  Like with the first time I brewed the beer (clone of The Mad Fermentationist's "Fortunate Islands" prototype for the Modern Times Brewery) I utilized Citra hops to provide that flavor.  I decided to try out the Australian hop Galaxy which is supposed to also provide a nice citrusy flavor.  I haven't used Citra enough to say where it ends and the Galaxy begins but I can say that they do work together.

I bottled this beer after two weeks (1 week of fermentation and 1 week of dry hopping) and then tried my first one after 3 days (was nicely carbonated already).  It has been hard not to drink the beer exclusively over that last couple weeks.  It is so nice having fresh hoppy beer!


Tasting Notes:
  • Aroma:
    • Bold hop aroma dominates - it is a mix of citrus and pine.  No malt or yeast character come through on the aroma
  • Appearance:
    • Pours with a 3 finger head that fades down to a thin layer after a few minutes.  Leaves lacing on the glass.  The beer is light gold in color.  Very clear if I'm careful not to include too much of the dregs.
  • Flavor:
    • Pine and citrus (and other harder to pin down fruit) hop flavors up front with a restrained bitterness in the finish.  A bit of bready malt character but the hops dominate.  The beer has a rich and complex flavor profile.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Light/medium bodied with only a faint sweetness.  The finish is smooth and dry.  It is a very easy drinking beer.
  • Overall:
    • A really flavorful hoppy beer with a light but pleasing bitterness.  I'm happy with how the large amount of hops used for this beer present themselves.  I think this is a really nice recipe - the malt bill provides a great base for a hoppy beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment