Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Raspberry Wine Vinegar

This will be my third attempt at making vinegar - I'll be using my homemade Raspberry Wine for this batch.  This wine fermented to 13.6% ABV and was backsweetened to 1.022 at bottling.  I'm hoping that, at this ABV, it will make a fairly strong vinegar with a good amount of sweetness remaining for balance.  The wine is fairly tart on it's own which may make for a bit more complexity than acetic acid would provide by itself

I'll use 2 12 oz bottles for this batch and will add them on top of the mother culture I've used for my last two vinegar (Apple Cider and Malt) which were both made using Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar Mother culture.  The mother cultured from my first batch didn't seem to be enough to get the Malt vinegar going for my last batch so I ended up adding more of the brags.  I'll try not to resort to that this time

I'm going to let this sit in a corner of the kitchen for the next couple months and test occasionally to gauge it's progress.

Brewing Notes:

  • 11/1/20:
    • Added the raspberry wine to the previously used jar (on top of the mother culture left behind after the transfer of the Malt Vinegar
    • Draped a thin cotton cloth over the top for air exposure and secured with the lid ring
  • 11/26/20 - Checked on the vinegar today.  There are bubbles forming around the outer ring of the jar.  I suspect the remaining sugar to be fermenting a bit.  I took a sample - it tastes a bit more acidic than the normal cider but doesn't have a particularly strong vinegar character just yet.  There is some sweetness to it still


No comments:

Post a Comment