Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

No Knead Raisin Bread

I've made the fantastic New York Times "No Knead" bread probably a couple dozen times since my original post.  I feel like I've really started to nail down the process.  Given my level of comfort with the recipe I decided to modify it into a raisin bread recipe.

I stuck pretty closely with the original recipe and used a fairly conservative amount of cinnamon and raisin.  Seemed to hit a pretty good balance on my first try.


I've made it a couple more times since and am pretty comfortable declaring it a success.  It makes amazing toast and probably the best French Toast I've ever had.  Strongly recommend it!

Ingredients:
  • 3 Cups of Flour
  • 0.75 cups of raisin
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 0.25 tsp Bread Yeast
  • 1 5/8 cup cool tap water

Process Details:
  • 6/3/17:
    • Measured out 3 cups of flour with a measuring spoon (measuring by weight doesn't seem worth the effort I've decided).  Added salt,  yeast, and 1 tsp of cinnamon and then mixed.  Added the raisin and mixed some more (had to make sure they weren't clumped together.
    • Mixed in the water until the dough was a uniform sticky consistency

    • Put plastic rap on the top and let it ferment on the counter over night
  • 6/4/17
    • After about 18 hours of fermentation the dough had increased in size significantly:
    • Transferred to a floured cutting board, flattened, and then spread 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of sugar over the surface.
    • Rolled the bread up and then formed it into a ball
    • Moved it to a floured proofing basket and let it rise again
    • After an hr and a half of proofing I put my Dutch Oven into a 475 F oven to warm up 
    • After two hours of proofing the dough had risen quite a bit (it's in the high 60s in the house so just about perfect for fermentation) I turned the basket over onto a board with parchment paper.  It stuck a little bit to the proofing basket which is an issue I've been having.  Slowly comes unstuck with just a bit of patience.  Cut a couple slashes into the top with a serrated knife.
    • Moved to the heated Dutch Oven using the parchment paper as a cradle
    • Baked for 30 min with the lid on and then 15 with it off
    • Let the bread rest for a couple hours
    • Eat some bread with some nice homemade butter

No comments:

Post a Comment