Pages

Friday, July 24, 2015

Ordinary Bitter - Tasting

I bottled up this Ordinary Bitter about two months ago.  I was hoping for a nicely balanced and easy drinking beer for the summer.  I believe it hit both of those objectives nicely.


I drank quite a few of these in England and I think this beer is very much what I remember from the trip.  I wish I'd brewed 10 gal of it as it isn't going to last too long.

Tasting Notes:
  • Aroma:
    • Spicy hops are the primary aroma.  There is also a bit of sweet malt in there and maybe some fruity character from the yeast.
  • Appearance:
    • Light copper color.  This bottle poured with a lot of head (although all of them are not like this).  Head quickly dissipated to a thin layer.  Very clear beer.  Low carbonation after the big head on the pour.
  • Flavor:
    • Up front I get a lot of biscuity and bready malt.  It finishes with moderate bitterness with a bit of malt.  The balance is slightly tipped towards the hops.  There may be a little yeast character in the finish but it's pretty minor.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Light bodied and smooth.  Very low carbonation.
  • Overall:
    • A very easy drinking beer.  It is difficult to find this style of beer in bottles and, when you do, it's typically a lot more expensive than it should be - especially since it's a beer that's meant to be consumed in quantity.  I think this is a very good beer - I'm going to have to revisit this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment