Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Brown Porter - Tasting

There is nothing that hits the spot quite like a dark beer when it gets cold out.  I would choose the coffee and chocolate flavors of a stout or porter over a spiked eggnog or apple cider any day of the week.  With that in mind I chose to brew a Brown Porter a couple months back and I have really been enjoying it with the cold weather here in Pennsylvania.

The recipe included a fairly large percentage (25%) of brown malt.  I am finding that it produces a really nice subtle set of roast flavors (a mix of toasted bread and coffee with a bit of chocolate mixed in).  I really like it a lot and will plan on using it again.


Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:
    • Aroma is of sweet roast malt.  The description of the Brown Malt mentions Graham Cracker which is definitely accurate.  I think I also get coffee and chocolate.  It is a really pleasant smell.  No hops, yeast, or alcohol make it through.
  • Appearance:
    • Black with some dark brown around the edges when held to the light.  Pretty much opaque.  Pretty thin head with an average pour.  Head doesn't linger long.  No lacing.
  • Flavor:
    • The roast flavor dominates but it's subdued.  I get chocolate, coffee and toasted bread from it.  The finish is a little bit sweet with the nice roast character along with a bit of alcohol and maybe a small bit of hop bitterness.  There might be some yeast character mixed in with the alcohol somewhere.
  • Mouth-feel:
    • It is fairly light bodied and it finishes with a very slight sweetness.  It's very easy drinking (had three of them for this tasting and I wouldn't mind having a fourth).
  • Overall:
    • Really nice dark beer.  Much better than my Oatmeal Stout turned out.  The mild level of roast really makes it an easier drinking beer than most stouts I've had.  Nice combo of drinkability and flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment