Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2022

Nectarine Sour Blonde (2019) - Tasting Notes

This is my first attempt to use Nectarines in a beer.  I've used it here in a Sour Blond Blend which was put together in November 2019, aged on the fruit for about 7 months, and bottled in June 2020.  I used 5 of my 3-5 year aged Sour Blond to make the beer (read the latest tasting notes here).  I chose beers for this one which were on the mild side and not particularly sour to let the fruit shine through.  I also added 1.5 lb of invert syrup and bottle pasteurized while still sweet to try to accentuate the fruit flavor.

It has been 2 years since I bottled it now.  I've been drinking quite a bit of it but have been too lazy/busy to post tasting notes over that time.  Glad to finally be doing that.

Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:
    • Fairly strong peach/nectarine aroma most prominent.  I get a bit of earthy and fruity base beer character out of it as well.  Maybe a bit of vinegar as well.  
  • Appearance:
    • Golden in color with maybe a slightly reddish tint.  Pretty clear.  Poured with a 2 finger head that quickly faded to nothing.  Has a lot of cascading bubbles that last for most of the drink.
  • Flavor:
    • Strong fruit flavor up front - this pretty much lingers into the finish.  In the middle of the palate I get a bit of earthy brett character as well as a medium-light level of acidity.  The beer is fairly sweet on the finish which balances the acid nicely.  I want to say there is a little bit of breadiness to it as well and maybe some mineral character.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Medium light bodied and slightly sticky on the palate.  There is a little bit of acidic prickliness to it on the back of the throat but not in an unpleasant way.
  • Overall:
    • This is really nice fruit forward beer.  The Nectarine is boldly flavored but (at these usage levels) leaves a bit of room to let the base beer come through and add complexity.  The fruit and beer compliment each other nicely.  The level of sweetness retained in this beer is very nice as it counters what could have been an overwhelming level of acidity

No comments:

Post a Comment