Pages

Friday, May 18, 2018

Berliner Weisse Take III - Tasting Notes

This was a Berliner Weisse I brewed back in March with Grapefruit Zest and Dry Hopped with Cascade.  This is one of my favorite styles of beer.  The lightness and low alcohol (this one finished at less than 3%) combined with a really nice level of complexity make for a really interesting package.

Fermentation of the beer was pretty simple in that I just used a house blend I've been propagating of brewers yeast and Lacto Brevis over the last couple years.  I was a bit concerned that it would develop a good level of sourness.  It turned out that it did.  This was much simpler than trying to sour using grain.

The grapefruit was a fun touch.  The flavors are really compatible with the beer and they've lasted the last couple months.  The hops turned out not to last (although they were nice for a couple weeks or so).

Happy to finally be doing some testing notes.


Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:
    • It has a fruity yeast character along with a slight sour aroma.  Grapefruit aroma is prominent as well
  • Appearance:
    • Straw color and cloudy.  It pours with a 2 finger head that quickly dissipates down to nothing
  • Flavor:
    • Tart with a balance between bready malt and a fruity character - I think this is a mix of yeast and the grapefruit.  The tartness is about what I would expect for a Berliner Weisse - not overwhelming.  In the background the beer has sort of a cheesy and funky flavor
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Light and quite dry.  The acidity prickles the tongue.
  • Overall:
    • Very refreshing beer that is easy to drink in quantity.  I think the sourness is at a really satisfying level and it has a pleasing level of complexity.  The grapefruit is a subtle addition but I think it blends in with the overall flavor profile nicely.  The hops were quite nice but I think I prefer it without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment