Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Amber Ale - Tasting

It has been more than 4 months since I brewed up my first attempt at an Amber Ale

I had been thinking that this would end up as a pretty malty beer (hadn't read the style guide) but it's turned out to be quite hop forward.  It's definitely closer to pale ale than brown ale in terms of hop/malt balance.  Four months is a bit longer than I'd normally wait to take notes on a hoppy beer but this one has aged gracefully which I'm happy about.

I made my own candi syrup for this beer.  It was a lot of fun taking plain sugar and finding a way to get some extra flavors out of it.  I can't be sure but I think these flavors did come through as extra caramel and dark fruit in the final product.


Tasting Notes:
  • Aroma:
    • Hops are the most prominent smell.  Less prominent than they were a couple months ago but it's still pretty hop forward.  It is a grassy/piney aroma.  The malt comes through pretty strongly as well - this is mostly caramel.  There is a fruitiness to the aroma that may be from the yeast or maybe the candi syrup.  No alcohol on the nose.
  • Appearance:
    • The beer is a dark copper/light brown color.  Has cleared very well.  A slow pour yields a thin white head that quickly fades down to nothing.
  • Flavor:
    • Up front I get piney and herbal hops along with a bit of caramel and bready flavor from the malt.  The finish is slanted a bit towards the hops but it is reasonably well balanced out by the malt.  The bitterness lingers for a while.  There is a bit of alcohol in the flavor and a bit of fruitiness.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Medium bodied.  Slight astringency along with the bitterness.  Carbonation is light.
  • Overall:
    • As I mentioned before, I was expecting a beer more balanced between malt and hop than this one turned out.  This drinks like a slightly maltier pale ale really.  It is pretty nice regardless.  The flavors are pretty bold and, as I like a hoppy beer, I find them to be very pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment