Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Munich Helles - Tasting

I am happy to finally be getting around to doing a tasting of my first Munich Helles lager.  This beer has been in the bottle for about two and a half months now after an abbreviated lagering period.  I tried a bottle after the first week and found that significant diacetyl (a buttery flavor) had developed.  After a couple more weeks this had been cleaned up by the yeast and the beer has been drinking very well since.  I've consumed about half of it so far.

We go out to eat to a local bar and play trivia most weeks and I usually end up drinking Yuengling Lager as it's cheap and I like to have 2 or 3 pints of it.  It's simple and easy drinking but it also has a depth of flavor that is missing from BMC.  I've found I really enjoy the yeast character.  People always say that ale yeast is fruity and that lager yeast is clean.  I would agree with that but I also detect a slight tartness from the lager yeast in the Yuengling Lager.  I get this same flavor from this Munich Helles.

I think this beer, although quite a bit higher in alcohol, drinks very similar to the Yuengling.  It's simple and pretty easy to drink in volume.  I would say it has a touch more malty complexity than Yuengling.


Once again I've really enjoyed the process of brewing this lager.  I intend on trying another one soon.

Tasting Notes:
  • Aroma:
    • Sweet bready malt dominates along with a slight flowery hop smell.
  • Appearance:
    • Pours with a thin white head that quickly dissipates down to a ring of foam around the edge of the glass.  Nice golden color.  Slightly cloudy with a bit of particulate matter (didn't pour very carefully). 
  • Flavor:
    • Malty with a slightly tart yeast flavor up front.  The malt has a sweet honey like flavor.  The malt caries through to the finish along with a clean bitterness which lingers.  I think the finish is nicely balanced between the malt and bittering hops.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Medium bodied with a smooth finish.  No alcohol warming.  Carbonation is light.
  • Overall:
    • It's a simple and easy drinking beer with enough going on to keep it interesting.  It goes down really smoothly and has a pleasing finish.  It's pretty easy to drink in volume (I had three of them putting together this review).  I really happy with it.  I think it stands up reasonably well to a professionally made Munich Helles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment