Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Pale Mild - Tasting

I brewed up this Pale Mild over a month ago using an original recipe.  I wanted a nice, malty, sessionable beer to drink between the many hoppy beers that I had available.  I put together a number of specialty malts in small volumes that I thought would make for a bit of complexity in this malt driven beer

I also used this beer as a large starter for a vial of Conan yeast that I was using as a warm up for a Double IPA.  Not sure I got any

I ended up bottling this beer after 2 weeks which is my quickest beer so far.  I initially thought I might have been getting some Diacetyl from the beer but I've decided that the flavor is probably a combination of the biscuit and honey malts.


It ended up at less than 3% ABV so it is a true session beer.  I've been drinking these pretty quickly as a result.

Tasting Notes;

  • Aroma:
    • Sweet malt aroma is pretty much all I get.  No hops.  There could be some yeast aroma in there but it's either very subtle or very well melded with the malt.
  • Appearance:
    • Very clear beer.  An aggressive pour gets a an inch or so of head which leaves a bit of lacing.  It's is a pretty dark gold color.  This is pretty much what I had in mind for color.
  • Flavor:
    • Primary flavor is bready malt.  Biscuit and some sweet honey flavor are mingled in there are linger on the finish.  There is a slight hop bitterness in the finish as well.  It's not an exciting or complex beer by any means but there is enough going on in the flavor for it not to be bland.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Light bodied.  Very smooth and easy drinking beer.
  • Overall:
    • Not an exciting beer.  It's a lot like eating honey nut cheerios actually.  The dark mild seems like it has a bit broader palate with the roast flavors.  The pale malts that I restricted myself to here might be a bit too plain to take center stage.  Maybe using a higher percentage of them could have done the trick.  It's a tastefully done beer as is though - I suspect that specialty malts could easily be overdone in a beer like this.  Not sure I would brew this exact recipe again but it could be a good starting point for another pale-ish mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment