Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Belgian Dubbel - Tasting

I brewed this Belgian Dubbel about 6 months ago and gave it a 3 month secondary to bulk age and mellow.  The recipe was a lower OG version of a Westvleteren 12 clone.  I have never had that beer so I can't really say how close it got to the real thing.

The recipe was interesting in that it was all pale malt with the color mostly coming from Dark Candi sugar.  I attempted to do a reduction of the first gal of runnings as well but it didn't reduce quite as much as I would like and didn't really get very dark.  The beer seems to have gotten a lot of it's flavor from this sugar which is also pretty interesting - next time I try one of these beers I'm going to seriously consider making my own sugar.

The beer fermented in the low to mid 60s which has left a fairly restrained yeast character.  I would try to increase this a bit (maybe to ~70 F) next time to see how much fruitier it would get.


Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:
    • It has a malty sweet smell.  I get caramel and honey from it.  There is also a bit of fruity yeast character.  No alcohol smell and nothing I can pick up as hops.  It has very nice aroma.
  • Appearance:
    • Dark brown with a red tint.  Clear in the edges when held to the light.  Pours with a pretty think tan head which fades down to a thin layer quickly.
  • Flavor:
    • The beer has a nice backbone of sweet caramel flavor with some restrained fruity yeast character.  There is also a hint of alcohol but it doesn't taste like it's an 8.5% beer.  The finish is a balance of sweet malt and a bit of hop bitterness.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • It has a fairly light body.  It drinks very smooth and finishes dry.  Carbonation is low and the alcohol is very well hidden - this does not drink like the big beer that it is.
  • Overall:
    • This is pretty tasty beer.  It has a nice malt complexity and is a pretty easy drinking beer.  I think a bit more fruity ester character would have been nice.  It's obviously the product of a Belgian yeast but it's a little more restrained than I would like next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment