Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Munich Dunkel Take II - Tasting Notes

This is my second attempt at the Munich Dunkel style.  For this version I used Munich Malt only and performed a triple decoction.  It's a fairly light example of the style but has the flavors I'd expect from a Munich Dunkel

It was brewed back in November 2020 and kegged in Late December after a 3 week lagering period.  I've been drinking this beer now for a few months.  I feel like every pull from the keg could be the last so it's time for a tasting.

Tasting Notes:

  • Aroma:
    • Sweet bready malt - like lightly toasted bread.  Also get the classic lager yeast aroma.  Nothing I can pick out as hop aroma
  • Appearance:
    • Light brown with a little haze.  There are some solids that come with the pour.  Two finger head that quickly fades to a thin ring
  • Flavor:
    • Light toasted bread and the light lager yeast flavor up front.  The finish has a light bitterness that offers some balance to the sweet malt.  There is a bit of alcohol in the flavor profile but it is smooth
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Medium bodied, slightly sweet, and smooth.  The flavors linger on the palate for quite a while after the sip
  • Overall:
    • This has a very nice malt character to it.  I really like the Munich Dunkel style.  I also very much like the later yeast character and enjoy the interplay between the malt and yeast here.  This is a fairly strong beer at 6.2%.  This doesn't hurt it but does make it more difficult to choose this as a second pour.  I'd aim for a bit lower next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment