Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Tart and Funky Saison - Tasting Notes

This is a beer I brewed in April 2016.  I set out to create a Saison with the level of complexity of Tired Hands Saison Hands.  If you haven't had it, Saison Hands is a lovely beer that has gotten more and more complex over time.  They age it in a large wood barrel (foeder) and seem to be developing their own house culture - the beer is pretty much a full on sour beer at this point.

I used a complex grainbill for this beer and pitched Saison Yeast along with lacto, bottle dregs from a Lambic, and small dose of the afore mentioned Saison Hands.  I then let the beer age on the yeast cake in a bucket fermenter for the next 15 months.

The time suited it well!


Happy to finally be tasting this thing.  Cheers!

Tasting Notes:
  • Aroma:
    • It has a very potent earthy aroma along with some big overripe fruit smells.  Very rich.  No malt or hop character comes through.
  • Appearance:
    • Straw gold in color.  Fairly clear.  Pours with just a wisp of foam - head disappears completely almost immediately.  The bottle conditioning yeast are either really slow or I didn't provide enough priming sugar.
  • Flavor:
    • Prickly acidity up front.  After that I get earthy and fruity flavors which mirror the aroma.  Nice little bit of sourness in the finish - about what you'd expect from a Berliner Weisse.  It also has an interesting flavor that I'd kind of associate with pickles somehow - maybe a slight vinegar flavor (picked up the same thing from the Tired Hands beer I'd added so I assume that it contributed this component).  Doesn't sound pleasant but it's far enough in the background to just give an interesting additional dimension.  There is also a little bit of bready malt in the finish.
  • Mouthfeel:
    • Light-medium bodied.  Finish is very dry.  No astringency.  The combination of acidity and very dry finish make for a very crisp and refreshing beer.
  • Overall:
    • The level of complexity in this beer is very satisfying.  I feel like I could pass this off as a Lambic as easily as I could a Saison with all the flavors it brings to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment